SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 3

From:
Ulf Dalquist <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 20:55:01 +0100
I'm really sorry if someone found my posts ethnocentrist. It wasn't at all
my intentions to claim that US films are more seen than anything else in
the world. Things get that way when you're in a hurry and not writing in
your native language. I'm not familiar with the popularity of US films in
for instance India or China, and with their respective populations a major
national blockbuster might be comparable with a major US international hit.
But, I doubt (which could be the result of my limited, west-european
perspective) that any country has produced a comparable amount of film
ICONS, characters or actors, known throughout the world.
Batman, Ninja Turtles, Rambo, Marilyn Monroe, Greta Gustavsson or
Schwarzenegger  - the american icons are probably more known than any
other. And isn't Hollywood  to many the very essence of the world of film?

But, then again, I could be wrong.

Ulf