SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 3

From:
Shashwati Talukdar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 1996 09:43:44 -0400

> I support the general point that the US circulates the most money in
> operating its film industry, but concerning quantity of film, unless I'm
> mistaken, isn't it India that produces the most feature film titles per year,
> worldwide?
> Regards, Bet MacArthur

Bet,

You are right, India produces about 900 films per year, there are at least
four large scale language industries and several minor ones. The cost per
film is much less than what is spent in Hollywood, there are several
reasons for this, some being that the shooting ratio is very low,
typically two or theree takes, post dubbing etc.

Shashwati