SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 2

From:
Dandrade Kendall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Aug 1996 23:04:00 EST
While the Odessa steps sequence may be the most famous example, Eisenstein
continued to use that technique, at least in the beginning of _Ivan the
Terrible, Part I_. It takes alot more screen time to pour the bowl of coins
over Ivan's head than it would have taken at the correnation.

Speculation: if speeded-up action, as in Keystone Cops sequences, is for
comedy, does slowing down the action, whether via slow motion or repeated
action, suggest the opposite (whatever we want to take that to be)?

Kendall D'Andrade