SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 1

From:
"J. Senft" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 18:53:00 -0400

>I'm trying to think of uses of slow-motion in genre films of the 1970s.  I
>can think of plenty of Sam Peckinpah examples, and some from Scorsese and
>DePalma films, but I honestly can't think of any others.  By the '80s,
>which is the period of my diss, it's all over the place (but, I'd wager,
>especially in B-pictures).  If anyone can happen to think of other '70s
>examples, I'd be most appreciative.  It seems as if they ought to exist,
>but I just can't think of any.

Avildson -- Rocky, Rocky II, etc.

How about those disaster films from the seventies -- Towering Inferno,
Poseidon Adventure, The Hindenburg, even Jaws -- they must've used slo-mo,
but I can't recall

And some guesses:
Fosse -- All That Jazz, Cabaret, Lennie
Hill -- The Sting, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, Slapshot
Landis -- Animal House
Schrader -- Hardcore
Coppola -- The Godfather, The Conversation

And Kubrick --2001:  A Space Odyssey, but I think that was the late 60's.

JS