SCREEN-L Archives

August 1996, Week 1

From:
Tony Williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Aug 1996 17:51:29 CST
 Perhaps, slow-motion does appear in Arthur Penn's THE LEFT HANDED GUN as far
back as 1956. I'm not sure about this. But the technique was very common. You
may wish to explore early Hong Kong Cinema, particularly Chang Cheh's SHAW
BROTHERS films such as BLOOD BROTHERS (aka DYNASTY OF BLOOD, 1972) and SEVEN
BLOWS OF THE DRAGON (1973?) where you will note the presence of slow-motion
elements that John Woo developed in his later post 1986 gangster films which
were also influenced by Peckinpah. Woo worked as assistant director on
BLOOD BROTHERS and has expressed his indebtedness to Peckinpah, Melville,
Scorsese, Leone and others whose work originated in a more creative and
less dominantly commercialized era of world cinema.
  I'm sure if you explore you will find many examples of this technique.
   Good luck.
     Tony Williams