SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 3

From:
Mike Abbott <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 1996 16:11:28 -0500
I'm teaching an Intro to Film course in the fall, and many of the
films I'll be screening are in laserdisc format. This makes it nearly
impossible to give students access to these films for later review,
since there are no laserdisc players available for student use here.
I could purchase separate copies of each film on VHS, but since my
budget is limited (who's isn't), I'm wondering if it would be legal,
or even possible, for me to make a VHS dub of a laserdisc and put it
on reserve for student use. I would then remove these tapes from
circulation at the end of the semster.

Is this a viable or legal solution? Has anyone else solved the
problem in a better way? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Mike Abbott

Michael Abbott (mailto:[log in to unmask])
Assistant Professor of Theater
Fine Arts Center
Wabash College
317-361-6448