SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 2

From:
Mark Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 1996 13:18:52 -0800
>An odd, vague question - films where red and blue are used as contrasts in
>order to highlight conflicting moods, express relationships of oppositions
>and the like.

Here is an equally vague response: If you find the philosophy of garish
colors being used for moods an interesting subject, you should research
Vittorio Storarro's work. (He was the cinematographer of Little Buddah in
addition to most Bertalucci films and films of Copolla.) He has a theory
of colors which is, shall we say, well defined. In addition to many many
interviews in publications like American Cinematographyer, you can see him
speak about his work in the EXCELLENT documentary VISIONS OF LIGHT.

Sincerely,

Mark Allen
Xantherboy

****XANTHER