SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 1

From:
Mark Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 10:07:36 -0800
>1.  What defines a "horror-comedy"?

This sub genre is primarily, though not exclusively, intended for genre
fans.  This is to say that when a genre has been so well established and so
heavily exploited, a sub genre will appear which doesn't "camp" the genre,
but loves it so dearly that much of the action is "toungue in cheeck."

The basic premise of horror comedy is to take the moment that the visual
horror occurs and stretch it out... and keep stretching... and keep it
going until instead of a shocking moment, you have Monty-Python like blood
stream spewing from the event.  Like any sub-genre, it takes knowing the
vernacular of the genre to know when the genre is being lovingly made fun
of.

>2.  What is its genealogy?  When does it appear, and why?  If, as it
>seems, the sub-genre emerges in the early-to-mid-1980's, what is it about
>this period that gives rise to the mixing of the two genres (aside from
>the fact that the Reagan administration was at once horrific and comedic).

The moment that "horror" becomes ubiquitos is when you'll find the roots of
horror comedy.  I'd look into Roger Corman's early works.  I think his
earliest films didn't realize they were comedies, but I'm sure he figured
this out and was playing with it when he made films like, "Little Shop of
Horrors."

>3.  Are there recommended readings on this topic?

Fangoria is a magazine for horror film fans and that is where you'll find
some good material.  If you are talking about academic readings, I don't
know of any.

There is an adage in the theater community:  "Comedy is simply tragedy
turned on its side."

Sincerely,

Mark Allen
Xantherboy