SCREEN-L Archives

July 1996, Week 1

From:
"Randy A. Riddle" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 1996 09:36:16 +0000
I'm curious what our esteemed gathering thinks of Speilburg's "1941".

I remember seeing the film when it was first released and was struck
by the fact that I really enjoyed it and that there seemed to be a
_really_ negative reaction from the audience.

I recently picked up a copy of the film for a "re-consideration" and
enjoyed it very much.  Overwhelming seems to be the key word -- a
friend who watched it with me compared it to a child's temper
tantrum.  My own personal theory is that it was a way for Spielburg
and Co. to "let off some steam" after the very serious (and very
successful) "Jaws" and "Close Encounters".

I see alot of the silent comedians (Keaton, Laurel & Hardy, Lloyd) in
the gags that make up the film and viewing "1941" alongside one of
the silent comedies makes for some interesting comparisons.  Many of
the broad, physical silent-era comedies have some of the same
elements of "fantasy", but the soundtrack of "1941", in a way, makes
the fantasy "too real".  It's exaushting to watch "1941", mainly
because the viewer is inundated with all manner of explosions,
crashes, etc. for two hours  -- would Keaton's films have the same
charm with a realistic soundtrack?

Randy

Randy A. Riddle, Winston-Salem, NC
[log in to unmask] -- http://www.infi.net/~rriddle