SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 09:41:50 -0600
Thomas Mooney requests:
"Hi; my need is this: I'm compiling a sequence using increasingly rapid
motion - I start with a segment from Solaris, where there is a first person
view as a car drives through a tunnel etc., where the camera view is the
direct vantage point, experiencing the motion. I'm also thinking of shots
such as in Star Wars where the Millenium Falcon jumps into hyperspace (the
stars blurring, etc.) - can anyone provide me with similar instances,
particularly involve dark spaces and streaking lights going by; the faster
the better - or timelapse shots [from car windows, or bikes, or trains] in
the first person, as it were? Thanks."

Certainly, 2001: A SPACE ODYSSEY comes to mind.

I don't know if this trend has hit New Zealand, but there is a fairly new type
of attraction to hit the shopping malls--virtual rides. Sometimes, these
are portable units (that look a bit like the space shuttles on STAR TREK)
and sometimes they are in a fixed theater (as in the Mystery Mine Ride at the
Mall of America in Minneapolis/Bloomington). They jostle the viewers about
while the screen projects a roller coaster, space flight, motorcycle ride
and so forth. I don't know if the individual tapes used for these rides
are available, but they all do much of what you seem interested in.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)