SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Mark Allen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 23:16:16 -0800
>Ok, i have one question that has been on my mind! what's up with Johnny
>Depp??/ why does he insist on doing these independent _Artistic_ films??
>he can't deny the fact that he's a celebrity, and he always tries to in
>some form or another make everyone think he's different or an outcast...
>to me, he just keeps boiling further and furtehr down into PRETENTION!!!
>He makes me sick... does anyone have any thoughts on this??

I'm not going to be Depp's defender, but I will introduce this thought:  If
you were suddenly so famous that you could do any kind of film you wanted,
would you rather choose run of the mill action/drama hero roles or the more
unusual character roles.  If nothing else, one can certainly say this:
Depp has invented his own career.  Lili Taylor has done a similar thing,
but she is not as famous.

Sincerely,

Mark Allen
Xantherboy