SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Jenny Nyberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 May 1996 06:25:45 +0100
Hello everybody,

My name is Jenny, I'm a film student at the university of Karlstad, Sweden,
who would appreciate any thoughts, some advice, critics etc you could
possibly have on the topic of my future essay.

I call it "Snow globes on the screen". Ever since I saw Citizen Kane last
year, those snow globes seem to be more and more fequent on my TV. I
started collecting clips, this is my list so far (films, tv-series and
musicvideos):
We All Loved Each Other So Much, Falling Down, The Crow, While You Were
Sleeping, Baywatch, Party of Five, The X-Files, Lois and Clark - The New
Adventures of Superman, Radioskugga (Swedish), Michael Jackson's Black or
White, Bon Jovi's Lie To Me, K's Choice's Mr Freeze.
   Their appearances fascinates me. Why? Obviously they don't refer to
Citizen Kane, or do they? If not, who do they concern? Am I the only one to
notice? What about the directors, are they film scholars, academics or just
captured in the trap of postmodernism?
   If anyone knows anything about the directors and screenwriters for these
tv-series I would be grateful of any suggestions. For you who didn't se
"Mitch" in Baywatch (David Hasselhoff) shaking his little snow globe when
mourning an old girlfriend, I can tell you it was great fun!

                Any thoughts appreciated,
                                      Jenny

P.S. I know from my American professor that snow globes are a lot more
common in the USA than in Sweden (Europe). D.S.