SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Auden Ledahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 May 1996 00:45:27 -0400

>Ok, i have one question that has been on my mind! what's up with Johnny
>Depp??/ why does he insist on doing these independent _Artistic_ films??
>he can't deny the fact that he's a celebrity, and he always tries to in
>some form or another make everyone think he's different or an outcast...
>to me, he just keeps boiling further and furtehr down into PRETENTION!!!
>He makes me sick... does anyone have any thoughts on this??

   My thoughts on this are that he's rich and doesn't care and is doing what
HE wants to do. I'm not defending the man, but I don't think pretention
enters into it. More likely, he's stepping into other directions in order to
avoid boredom or burnout. Who cares if he's a celebrity, anyway? Are all
celebrities supposed to act the same, like the same things, have the same
number of marriages and divorces, the same number of vacation homes,
hairstyles, and pets?

   What makes me sick is the mindset that all successful people are supposed
to act alike and to hell with anyone who doesn't. Conformity makes a very
boring world. It also makes for nothing but trouble for those who are
physically or emotionally unable to be 'normal' (whatever that is). I applaud
anyone who has the guts to stand up for their own tastes, ideals, and
personal style. By golly, it's about time! It's also about time people began
RESPECTING persons who don't want to live up to (or down to) someone else's
expectations.

   Happily Outcast,
   TalkingEd