SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 3

From:
Eugene Walz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 May 1996 11:42:02 -0600
>Does anybody out there have any experience with, or heard about
>the "krasnogorsk-3" 16 or super 16 mm camera - the one with
>the american motor and russian body that is advertised at a very
>good price in the back of The Independent?  A friend was
>considering a purchase, but hasn't heard anything about it.
>Thanks,
>Simone Fary

We bought three Krasnogorsks for our film program here at the University of
Manitoba. We like to call them the Hyundai cameras because they are just
like those Korean cars in terms of price and reliability. Right now we have
one camera that gives us no problems, one camera that is mostly
reliable--depending on who is doing the loading, and one that is pretty
unreliable and which we will probably relegate to the
parts-for-the-other-two department. They are pretty easy to load, the
lenses are not bad (difficult to focus closer than 6 feet), the accessories
are okay. They also do not fit onto our tripods.

Gene Walz
University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba  Canada