SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
jajasoon tlitteu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 5 May 1996 10:10:17 -0500
>Interesting how much clamour there has been over such a simple ending.  I
>suspect because the film was so intense, that the last subtle remark came
>several minutes too early.  Without a doubt, the line "I'm in insurance" is
>there to indicate that she had come back to ensure that the plan was
>stopped.  This makes perfect sense as we have already seen another person
>from the future arrive moments before to give Willis' character some
>information.

Thank you for clearing up ambiguity "without a doubt" - it's nice to
finally be set straight, as my reading was that she was the scientist in
this earlier time frame, but before the virus broke out, she was an
insurance agent (a comment on the ridiculousness on the future scientist).
But you seem to have a direct line to truth here, so I'll toss away any
notions I have on openness or polysemy and except your reading as the fact.

Sarcasm over.

Why can't people accept the fact that this film can be read in tons of
different ways & stop trying to discover the author's intention and
accurate reading?  Let ambiguity thrive!

-j