SCREEN-L Archives

May 1996, Week 1

From:
Maria Ferrara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 May 1996 11:08:05 -0400

>On Tue, 30 Apr 1996, Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>Bill Everts wonders:
>>"I have a family of avid film lovers, and I would be interested in
>>knowing if anyone has compiled a list of the "100 films everyone
>>should see" or as I have read recently in my field, literature,
>>the "Professor's Guilt List." Every once in a while I come across
>>a list of books every literate person should have read, etc.
>>I have never seen such a list for films.  Does one exist?

I picked up a book a few years ago - "John Kobal Presents the Top 100
Movies".  It was based on a survey of film critics, film historians and
filmmakers from around the world.  Though not a very scientific undertaking
by any means, it's interesting to see what films are appreciated on a global
level.  I like it for the mix - everything from Night of the Living Dead to
Greed to Some Like it Hot is on this list.
Here's the Top 10 -
Citizen Kane - Orson Welles
Rules of the Game - Jean Renoir
Battleship Potemkin - Sergei Eisenstein