SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 2

From:
Gloria Monti <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Apr 1996 21:05:06 -0400
> Cross-dressing has been a standard comedic device since (at least)
> Shakespeare's 12th Night. Have films treated the subject any differently?

        I recommend the book *What a Drag,* a fairly good survey.
Unfortunately I do not have any more bibliographic info., as I got a hold
of the book through interlibrary loans.
        The following is a more complete compilation.

Eidsvik, Charles. "Tootsie versus Mephisto: Characterization in a Cross-
Cultural Context."  Film Criticism 13.3 (1989): 13-24.

French, Brandon.  On the Verge of Revolt: Women in American Films of the
Fifties.  New York: Ungar, ?

Gaines, Jane.  "The Queen Christina Tie-Ups: Convergence of Show
Window and Screen."  Quarterly Review of Film and Video 11.1    (1989): 35-60.

Hadleigh, Boze.  The Lavender Screen: The Gay and Lesbian Films: Their
Stars, Makers, Characters, and Critics.  New York: Citadel, 1993.

Herrman, Anne.  "Passing Women, Performing Men."  Michigan Quarterly
Review 30.1 (1991): 60-81.

Munich, Adrienne Auslander.  "TootsieUs Gender Act."  Denver Quarterly
18.4 (1984): 108-118.

Pacteau, Francette. "The Impossible Referent: Representations of the
Androgyne."  Formations of Fantasy.  Eds. Victor Burgin, James  Donald,
and Cora Kaplan.  London: Routledge, 1986.  62-84.

Sawyer, Corinne Holt.  "Men in Skirts and Women in Trousers, from
Achilles to Victoria Grant: One Explanation of a Comedic Paradox."
Journal of Popular Culture 21.2 (1987): 1-16.

Straayer, Chris.  "Redressing the Natural: The Temporary Transvestite
Film."  Wide Angle 14.1 (1992): 36-55.

Weiss, Andrea.  Vampires and Violets: Lesbians in the Cinema.  London:
Cape, 1992.

        Gloria Monti