SCREEN-L Archives

April 1996, Week 1

From:
Sommer/Simpson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Apr 1996 11:00:23 -0600
>I am doing some research into the politics of race in two British
>films of the 1950's: Simba(1955) and Sapphire(1959).
>Nick Elliott

Dear Nick Elliot,

Chicago-based video artist Leah Gilliam's video  "Sapphire and the Slave
Girl" might be of interest to you -- below a description from the Women in
the Director's Chair Film Festival that was recently held here in Chicago:

"Loosely based on the 1950's British detective film, "Sapphire", in which
two Scotland Yard detectives investigate the murder of a young woman who is
passing for white, "Sapphire and the Slave Girl" visualizes and
problematizes how identity is constructed, negotiated and performed within
urban spaces."

The tape will be shown again at Chicago Filmmakers on Friday, May 31 at 8 pm.

If you are interested in getting in touch with the artist, pls. contact me
off the list.

-- Ines Sommer