SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 5

From:
Allan Cameron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Apr 1996 10:43:36 NZST
Greetings,

I'm Allan Cameron, writing from Otago Uni in Dunedin, New Zealand. In
August I'm moving to Vancouver, Canada, and intend pursuing a
degree/qualification in film production.

The programmes I'm looking at are the 4-year BFA at Simon Fraser Uni,
and the 1-yr independent programme at the Vancouver Film School. What
I'd like to know, from anyone who's acquainted with these places, are
the comparative advantages of each school. Which one provides, for
instance:
    - best access to equipment
    - best industry links and follow-on employability (within Canada)
    - best class dynamic
    - best quality of instructors
    - etc.
In short, I'd be grateful for any impressions anyone can give me
regarding these places. It's a mighty long way across the Pacific
Ocean, and it's pretty hard to make an educated decision from such a
distance.

Allan Cameron
Dunedin, New Zealand