SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 5

From:
Anna Mccarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Mar 1996 06:21:36 GMT
Mary Heather Smith ([log in to unmask]) wrote:

: Does anyone know where tv listings were published in the late forties and
: early fifties?  I haven't found thme in the daily newspapers, and I don't
: think "TV Guide" was around until 1953.  Thanks for any advice.

Mary,

I believe it varied from city to city. In Chicago in the late 40s there
was a local TV listing magazine called Television Forecast, but a
program guide of this sort might not have existed in cities with fewer
stations on the air.

One place to track down an early TV listing magazine would be a city
historical society.

Also, Television Magazine in the 1940s printed regular lists of sponsored
programs from stations around the country, presumably as a way of charting
the commercial growth of the medium. While the latter source would not give
you information on scheduling nor on sustaining programs that aired at the
time, it might be a good place to start.

Anna McCarthy
University of North Carolina