SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 4

Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 1996 16:17:00 EST
Denis,

I do take issue with the statement that you received about how one can
clearly see that the walrus hunt was shot with two cameras.  As you
rightly observe, many scenes could have easily been constructed with one
camera.  Flaherty's diaries clearly point out that he shot the walrus
hunt scene alone and are probably a more reliable source of information
than deductions by modern viewers.  This deduction (I assume) is based
on the assumption that the scene was shot in sequence.  Close
examination of the walrus hunt will reveal that the scene is shot
out of sequence -- in many of the shots the walrus is clearly dead and
drifting in the water when we are supposed to believe that it is putting up
one hell of a struggle.

Mark Langer

Email address: [log in to unmask]