SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 4

From:
Molly Olsen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Mar 1996 11:25:19 ES
mtoscani @ voicenet.com ("[Mark Toscani]") writes:

>I was wondering if anyone out there can recommend a CD-Rom film guide.
>
>I am interested in more "obscure" movies (Silents, Independent, Foreign).
>And one that has complete listings of directors--especially Silent
>directors like Murnau, Lang and Gance.
>
>Thanks for any software suggestions.

If you have Web access, there are some resources that are much more
comprehensive than anything on CD-ROM (and they're free):

The All-Movie Guide -- http://ALLMOVIE.com/
Searchable database by title, artist (incl. any crew member!), genre, time
period, country, & "mood" with extensive info on every movie and complete
cross-referencing. The most comprehensive database I've found in terms of
films listed.

The Internet Movie Database -- http://www.msstate.edu/Movies/
Another searchable database with cross-referencing as above, but with
additional links to reviews, quotes, trivia, literature, technical info, goofs,
other web resources on that movie, and more for those films for which that
information is available. It's great if you're looking up a recent or more
popular movie and want lots of additional info.

Molly Olsen