SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 3

From:
Rolf W Brandis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 23:13:33 -0600
>Hello,
>
>Does anyone know whether Flaherty was alone when he shot Nanook or if he was
>accompanied with an operator? And did he had one or two cameras with him?
>I'm sorry if these are obvious questions, I know there's a lot of
>litterature on Nanook, but I have nothing at hand at present and I need
>those informations as soon as possible. Thanks to anybody who can help me on
>that!
>
>DENIS SIMARD               |      [log in to unmask]
>                           |      http://mistral.ere.umontreal.ca:9091/
>Litterature comparee       |      Tel:  (514) 271-4136
>Universite de Montreal     |      Fax:  (514) 343-2393
>
>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]
>
>Flaherty actually shot two films. The first approximately 30,000 ft. were
lost in a fire in Toronto in 1914.

His second attempt (which resulted in Nanook) began on June 18th, 1920.

He travelled to Cape Dufferin on northeastern Hudson Bay . He established
his base and laboratory there.

He brought with him 75,000 ft of film, a Haulberg electric light plant and
projector, plus two Akeley cameras and a printing machine.

He shot all of the footage himself.

Hope this helps.

Rolf W. Brandis