SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 3

From:
Bob Arnett <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 08:55:22 GMT+6
The reminiscences of 2001 have been very interesting, to the extent that I am
going to throw my own in.

I was 12 when the film was released, and living in Seattle.  Seattle's Cinerama
theatre was one of the original six (I think it was six) Cinerama theatres built
for the process.  In other words, it was a wonderfully large theatre with a
gigantic screen in a concave shape, and a six track stereo sound system.  My
father took a few of my friends and me on my birthday to see it, because that is
what I had wanted as a present.  In this great theatre, at that age (already in
love with movies), I sat absolutely transfixed for the entire running time.  The
six track stereo sound made me think the apes were, at times, behind me.  The
music filled the theatre, and I was physically and emotionally moved, the
stargate sequence riveted me to my seat.  At 12 years old, I didn't understand
any of the philosophy of the content, but, nonetheless, I was moved by the
film at some kind of base level.  My father slept through most of it.

I have a widescreen edition of the video, and have seen the laserdisk.  Do you
out there agree that the letterboxing is not at the complete ratio?  This is
disappointing when I see other films masked offed to wider ratio (THE
GREAT ESCAPE and SEVEN BRIDES FOR SEVEN BROTHERS in my
collection).  Am I right on this?  Or is it just faulty memory.