SCREEN-L Archives

March 1996, Week 1

From:
Mikel Koven <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Mar 1996 07:55:29 -0330
Why must it be a "standard film language"? Where Metz, Levi-Strauss and
the boys went wrong, or at least where my current research in
sociolinguistics is taking me, is that semiotic analysis is culturally
specific.  I.e. the signifiers and siginfieds (as well as their
interrealtionships) differ from culture to culture and from group to
group, therefore the can be no single unifying pricipal.

Mikel J. Koven
Department of Folklore
Memorial University of Newfoundland