SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 5

From:
edwin jahiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:39:14 -0600
I have had too many fish to fry, so I did not get involved in the 12 Monkeys
discussion(s). Belatedly, I thank Don Larsson for pointing out the
interview with Terry Gillliam on the net, at:

  http://www.mca.com/universal_pictures/12/transcript.html

I am puzzled by the business of 12 Monkeys' inspiration being Chris
Marker's LA JETEE. The connection is clear, but did Gilliam see it, did he
not, does he claim he did not but did, and so on??? Is he playing games?

In any case, a knowledge of LA JETEE is a good thing to have, especially as
this film (or "photo-roman" of sorts), under 30 minutes, is a
ground-breaking, moving gem, a unique mix of lyricism and pessimism. Not
strange, coming from Marker, whose works simply, absolutely have to be
seen. (Check out A VALPARAISO, made by Joris Ivens but with another superb
lyrical-political Marker narration. Check out others).
There is a web site devoted to Marker, from Australia. Its (new) URL is:

http://www.ss.rmit.edu.au/miles/marker/Marker.html

Very interesting & serious.You can also get in it images from LA JETEE, etc.
You can get a video containing LA JETEE from Facets Video. It is VHS SO7169
($39.95 in the year-old  catalogue I am looking at). Title of the video:
"Avant-Garde Program #12"

Includes LA JETEE,  Dulac's THE SEASHELL AND THE CLERGYMAN, and Vorkapich's
LIFE AND DEATH OF A HOLLYWOOD EXTRA.

Edwin Jahiel