SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 5

From:
Arnt Maasø <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Feb 1996 10:15:43 +0100
Jery Johnson writes:
> But I recently asked two 8-year-old girls
>what they thought of "Beauty and the Beast," and they both said they were
>very dissapointed that the beast changed into a man at the end because he
>was "boring" now.  This Disney text led them to conclude that the
>traditional heterosexual couple (at least in this specific instance) is
>unsatisfying!

I worked with children at the time "Beauty and the Beast" was released in
Norway. Many of the kids (from 9-12) stated the same; that they did not
like the ending when the beast becomes a man. But when i asked them why,
they said it was because the beast was a lot cuter than the man. I don't
think these boys and girls related their dissapointment to "heterosexual
couples" being boring, which I would find a little stange, considering the
role heterosexual couples has in society, and the large reported fear (at
least scandinavian) kids have of their mother and father being devorced
(see for instance an article in the lastest issue of Childhood). But this
of course, are just feeling based on experience with kids, and are not
based on any scientific receptionstudies...

Arnt Maaso