SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 3

From:
Glen Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 1996 02:33:32 -0500
Critical comments on spelling is one reason I don't post.  I have Attention
Deffiset Disorder, and it took it's tole when I was in school by retarding my
learning ability.  I way not able to stay on task in English class, and it
shows most prominently in my inability to spell.  It has keept me from
acheving my potential.  I have basicly outgrown the disability, but the
teltail mark it has left on me is most evedent in my spelling has haunted my
life.  I am quite capable, but in this world of critics and sceptics,  it is
hard to get past the bias.

I wont try to justify my comments by stating my accomplishments.  They may
not be near what many of you have,  but they are respectable.  Some tell me I
should "Spell Check" any posts first.  The fact is that I'm a single parent
working 80+ houers a week so i can get the equipment together to shoot my own
film's and teach myself the trade since I do not have the oportunity that has
been given to other "Spelling" people out there.

Please forgive me on this post.  It's 1:30 am and I have to be up by 6:45 to
get my son to school.  I just get so dam mad when people poke at someone just
becouse there spelling is not perfict.

Spelling has nothing to do with the creative mind!!!!!  How many great
stories where never written becouse they where conceved by someone who was
dyslexic, or had ADD and refused to try becouse they risked facing ridicule
by the literary mass who place SPELLING above CONTEN in a story.  Yes, in the
spelling must be corrected.  But if they dident have to face the ridicule,
they could seek help with the spelling.

Enough I guess.  I do apologise to all. I guess I just needed to vent a bit.

Glen