SCREEN-L Archives

February 1996, Week 2

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Feb 1996 07:55:07 -0400
>That Michael Jackson and Spike Lee would want to romanticize third world
>misery in a music video clip is simply obscene

Spike Lee does not have a track record of romanticizing, or even
sentimentalizing, poverty (not that I've seen all his films). I suspect he
is raising money for a project both through an undoubtedly enormous fee,
and by building strategic alliances with an investor who has very, very
deep pockets. This isn't unheard of in Hollywood.

>Just possibly. I think this an abhorrent idea, sicker and more obscene than
>anything Mr. Jackson has been accused of in the past.

Mr. Jackson may be attracting more than his fair share of abhorrence. After
all, he did not invent poverty or its exploitation for entertainment.
Perhaps there will be some nebulous veneer of concern attached to the
entertainment message, or something even stronger (given Lee's
involvement). We'll just have to wait and see.

It would be a pity if this list degenerated into tabloid-style moralizing
over fallen pop icons.

David Smith
(902)454-3087
"Multimedia Design Studio"--