SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
Mark Toscani <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 1996 13:18:32 -0500
Hello,

I am doing research pertaining to American film. I need suggestions for
films from the '70's and '80's dealing with the struggle and survival of
the individual against some outside force (war, natural disaters, unjust
gov'ts.).

I am trying to avoid Combat films and Westerns and those dealing with
substance abuse.I want to single out the "regular" American in the Capra
tradition--ordinary citizens caught in extraordinary situations. From other
decades, I have singled out films like--GONE WITH THE WIND, SHENANDOAH,
SPARTACUS, SCHINDLER'S LIST,etc...

My mind seems to be blank for the 70's and 80's--I know I am forgetting
some great films. I was thinking of BRAZIL--but is that not a British
production!?
Any help is greatly appreciated. You can email personally at

Thanks,
Mark