SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 3

From:
edwin jahiel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 1996 11:08:34 -0600
At 10:05 PM 1/10/96, lang thompson wrote:
>"I belong to two countries, even if I have only one passport, Swiss."
>Mr J-L Godard his own bad self from an interview with Katherine
>Dieckmann appended to Locke & Warren (ed) "Jean-Luc Godard's Hail Mary:
>Women & the Sacred in Film."  The interview was in English and is quite
>interesting even if too short.  The same book also has a brief bio that
>says Godard took Swiss citizenship while a child.
>
>Lang Thompson
>
>----
Many thanks to Lang Thompson for elucidating a mystery and correcting our
vague but obviously false impressions. I am glad Godard came out with a
statement.
Some years ago, at a festival, I seem to remember a press conference or
some kind of session with Godard (those sessions, when you can corner the
man, can be a howl, what with JLG's paradoxes). I think that the question
re: his nationality came up and that JLG more or less evaded it (or made a
joke) --and that when,later, some of us were chatting, the impression was
that his nationality was French rather than Swiss.

Be it as it may, that was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead.

edwin jahiel