SCREEN-L Archives

January 1996, Week 1

Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 1995 22:36:55 EST
On Mon, 25 Dec 1995 00:33:25 -0500 Auden Ledahl said:

>to the article, she died from second and third degree burns over 70% of her
>body. The cause of the fire was a kerosine heater. She was 84.

It says something that McQueen died as a result of a kerosine fire.
And none of the notices made any point of these circumstances.

Perhaps it comes from my watching too much big city tv news.  But,
almost every time someone dies in a kerosine originated fire, it turns
out that the victim could not afford any other form of heat.  That is,
poor people die in kerosine fires.  So much for fame and glory in
Hollywood -- especially in the 'thirties for black players.

Cal Pryluck, Radio-Television-Film, Temple University, Philadelphia
<[log in to unmask]>  <[log in to unmask]>

      SCREENsite -- A Film/TV-studies site on the World Wide Web
      URL:http://www.sa.ua.edu/TCF/welcome.htm