SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 4

Date:
Sun, 24 Dec 1995 19:26:46 GMT
In message  <Pine.SOL.3.91.951224110244.23280B-100000@minerva>
 [log in to unmask] writes:
> I want to share with Screen-L the news of Butterfly McQueen's
> death. She was the victim of a fire accident in her home in Augusta,
> GA on Friday and died from burns in the Augusta Regional Medical Center.
> She was 84.
> My recent work has centered on Ms. McQueen's film career and her
> immense talent always went underappreciated: the Hollywood system condemned
 her
> to play the single role of a servant, with very few exceptions (*Cabin
> in the Sky,* for instance). As an example of how little things have
> changed, yesterday's *New York Post* published a very short
> obituary with a headline that identified Ms. McQueen not as an actor but as
> "Scarlett's maid."
>
> Gloria Monti

Oh that's just dreadful. Both the death, and the obit. I am so
sorry to hear this news. Only last month we were talking about
her in class, after doing a discussion on Cabin In The Sky. It's
so hard when people of that great age die in such horrible
circumstances. Old age, one can accept, but not an accident, you
feel truly robbed when that happens.

I'm so glad someone is working on her films. I have always loved
her, and every film I have ever seen with her, I always wished
her part had been more substantial. thank you for
letting us know, I rprobably would not have found out this side of the Pond.

--
Morgan