SCREEN-L Archives

December 1995, Week 2

Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 12:56:57 EST
Marlyn Robinson writes:

> I saw a reference in The Economist (11/4) to a recent discovery of "the only
> known known film record of Captain Alfred Dreyfus during the retrial of 1899
> that resulted in his pardon."  The article was generally about the silent
> film fest at Pordenone Italy, but this bit of information comes at the tail
> end, and doesn't state specifically that it was shown at the festival.  Does
> anyone have any ideas of where this film might repose?
>
> On a related topic, one of our professors swore that the first filmed trial
> was Nuremberg.  The earliest Iam certain of was the Lindbergh/Hauptman
> (1935) case.  Does anyone know of earlier ones.  (I mean real trials as
> opposed to features, and moving pictures as opposed to stills)?
>
> Thanks,
> Marlyn Robinson
>
> ----
> To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
> in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Marlyn,

I don't think that your professor is right.  I recall vaguely some
years ago, while doing some research on the release of "White Slave
Films" that there were many accounts in both the trades and regular
press about a motion picture camera that had been smuggled into a
court room.  It was a sensational case with national coverage over
some Mann Act-type violation.  The judge, upon hearing that footage had
been taken, authorized another film company to come in and do some
filming of the trial.  Both films were reviewed in the trades, with the
unauthorized one being criticized for its poor visual quality.  This would be
around 1912-13.  Sorry that I can't give you more complete data (this
isn't exactly the last word in scholarship), but I hope that this gets you
started.

Regards,

Mark

Mark Langer