SCREEN-L Archives

November 1995, Week 5

From:
Ron Hoffman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 1995 11:36:00 -0400
One could obviously write a whole book on short stories adapted into
film.  Speaking of Du Maurier, from the same collection, "Don't Look Now"
also became a feature (Roeg).  I don't know what she thought of it or
whether she was alive when it was made.

If you consider Death in Venice to be a short story, there is that film
of the same name.  I recently came across an animated version (not
feature length) of Kafka's "Metamorphosis"!

One of the best Sci Fi films, besides 2001, to be made from a short story
is "The Day the Earth Stood Still" based on the story "The Master" (I
think--it's been years since I read it).  I don't recall the author's name.
It's probably in the credits.  The story is interesting due to the
surprise ending when the reader finds out that the real master is the
robot, not the humanoid alien, a twist the movie, of couse, does not make.

Ron Hoffman