SCREEN-L Archives

November 1995, Week 3

From:
Ray Jeffers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Nov 1995 10:08:37 ES
I recently received a catalogue from Something Weird Video and they have a few
pages dedicated to Coffin Joe.  They have a number of his films available on
tape "translated
into English for the first time with easy to read subtitles."  They also
provide a brief history.

His real name is Jose Mojica Marins and was born in Sao Paolo, Brazil in 1929.
He became fascinated with horror films as a youngster, his father managed a
local movie theater, and
he started making films as a kid.  He claims to have had a nightmare in which a
man dressed
in black dragged him into an open grave.  "Ze' de Caixo" was born.  This name
translates into
"Joe of the Coffin" or Coffin Joe.  Marins himself portrayed the gravedigger
who played a major role in many of his films.  These films caused quite an
uproar in Brazil during the 60's and many were banned.

The last line of the article says "Cheaply-made and filled with amateurish
acting, these films
are unlike almost anything horror fans have ever experienced - genuinely creepy
and utterly fascinating."  I have never seen one of Coffin Joe's films so I
can't say how fascinating they are,
but some of the titles are great!  "This Night I Will Possess Your Corpse" and
"At Midnight I'll
Take Your Soul."

You can contact Something Weird Video at 206-361-3759 or P.O. Box 33664,
Seattle, WA
98133.

Ray [log in to unmask]