SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Donald Larsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Oct 1995 12:25:54 -0600
Ron Hoffman writes:
My evening film class meets on Halloween night, and I want to show them a
four or five star quality horror film (almost, but not quite an
oxymoron).  I'm thinking of showing DON'T LOOK NOW, but I am open to
other titles for consideration.

I would also appreciate any recommendations on supporting literature
either on the horror genre or on a specific film that's recommended.
Thanks for your help."

Mine meets that night too (and they have an exam--now *that's* scary!).
I'm showing the original INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (but I'm
also fond of Kaufman's remake).

Along more traditional lines, students might find the following to
be more curiosities than horror, but if they tolerate black and white
films, the following might be of interest:
THE CABINET OF DR. CALIGARI
NOSFERATU
VAMPYR
Tod Browning's DRACULA
FRANKENSTEIN and THE BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN
FREAKS

A bit off the track (and with a ridiculous last-minute happy ending)
NIGHTMARE ALLEY--one of the most disturbing of films noirs.

Val Lewton's films, especially CAT PEOPLE and I WALKED WITH A ZOMBIE,
might be  good barometer of whether subtlety can work any more.

Don Larsson, Mankato State U (MN)