SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
"rolf w. brandis" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 1995 14:08:45 -0500
>More suggestions for interesting, very recent documentary work:
>
>I just saw "Carmen Miranda - Bananas Is My Business" at the Chicago
>International Film Festival -- it's an intriguing new doc by Brazilian
>filmmakers Helena Solberg that looks at Carmen Miranda's success in the US
>in the 40's as not only a cultural but a political phenomenon. You could
>probably call the festival to find out who distributes it.
>
>"Leona's Sister Gerri" by Jane Gillooly very movingly tells the personal
>story behind the police photo of an anonymous woman who had died from a
>botched abortion. It's available through New Day Films.
>
>"Manufacturing Consent: Noam Chomsky and the Media" by Mark Achbar and
>Peter Wintonick is a terrif doc. that focuses on Chomsky's analysis of mass
>media. It is stylistically quite innovative and doesn't rely on the typical
>"talking heads" format that so many docs seem to do.  I think you can get
>it from Zeitgeist in New York.
>
>A documentary that I was involved in a bit and that I can recommend highly is:
>"When Billy Broke His Head... And Other Tales of Wonder" by disabled
>journalist Billy Golfus and Chicago producer David Simpson.  It's an
>irreverent "road movie" of sorts about disability issues and civil rights
>-- aside from its message, I also think that it tells its story with a
>great sense of humor! (it won a prize at Sundance this year and was aired
>on PBS in May.)  You can get it through Fanlight Productions (800)
>937-4113.
>

>Ines Sommer
>School of the Art Inst./Chicago
>
>----
>To signoff SCREEN-L, e-mail [log in to unmask] and put SIGNOFF SCREEN-L
>in the message.  Problems?  Contact [log in to unmask]

Many thanks, Ines;
I'll save this list and use it. Incidentally, today I showed the Bill T. Jones
film re: Dinner At Uncle Tom's Cabin and Promised Land. It's a stunning film
pertaining to both personal and artistic freedom. I loved it, so did my
class. It engendered an exciting hour-long discussion.