SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 4

From:
Roderick Donahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 1995 02:14:30 -0400
Okay here are some more --just off the top of my head...

Independents: Allison Anders' Mi Vida Loca/Greg Araki's Totally fucked Up/
any Henry Jaglom film (New Year's Eve, Eating) Hughs Brothers, Menace ll
Society/ that remake of Breathless/ JOHN CASSAVETES, A Woman Under the
Influence, Love Streams (so LA) / WIM WENDERS, The State of Things
(excellent) /Abel Ferrara's Dangerous Game

Hollywood: Nicolas Ray's Rebel Without a Cause / The Day of the Locust ( a
MUST) Robert Altman's The Player, or Short Cuts/ that Joel Shumaker film with
Michael Douglas...

Along with Bladerunner, on environmental destruction in LA there is, Omega
Man and Planet of the Apes, Terminator series and Robocop.

 To Live and Die in LA/ Body Double/ FX/ The Hidden/ Hundreds of other B
movies. (Mainly LA locations)

Oh, and don't forget film noir, The Blue Dalia, Maltese Falcon, Double
Indemnity, Mildred Pierce, The Postman always rings twice, The Big Sleep etc.

Less Than Zero/ Charles Bukowski's LA in Barfly/ Colors/ and current
releases, Get Shorty and the wonderful Carl Franklin film Devel in a Blue
Dress.

If I thought about it I could come up with dozens more.

Roderick
NYU Film