SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 3

From:
David Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Oct 1995 13:46:14 -0300
>And, a successful novel is already 'tested' on the audience - the story in
>itself has proved to be appreciated, and one possible reason of box office
>failiure is thus eliminated. I guess this is the main reason for all the
>recent
>adaptions of comic books. BTW, I doubt that it's cheaper to buy the rights to
>Crichton's novels than getting a completely original script...:-)

You're so right, Ulf. Spielberg payed Crichton five-hundred thou to have
him write an unusable script for _JURASSIC_, over and above the cool
million he payed for the rights. He went through two more scriptwriters,
who had to work from storyboard artists' comic-book adaptation rather than
from Crichton's original text. He blew his budget on special effect scenes,
which had to be used, long before the final draft.

David Smith
(902)454-3087

"Multimedia Design Studio"--
http://www.isisnet.com/dsmith/index.html