SCREEN-L Archives

October 1995, Week 1

From:
Roderick Donahue <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Oct 1995 00:21:11 -0400
Mikel Koven wrote:
>Granted that both Showgirls and Basic Instinct were truly >dreadful films,
>however, lest we forget that Verhoven also directed Robocop >and Total
>Recall (two science fiction films which, although >problematic, also
>influenced a great deal of the genre's gestalt up to today) and >the films
>he directed in his native Holland, Spetters, The Fourth Man, >and Flesh
>and Blood were all quite marvellous.

I agree. I was reacting to the error of confusing the director of Basic
Instinct and Showgirls with Gus Van Sant. Robocop (the first one) and Total
Recal are remarkable films. I don't let Verhoeven off the hook so easily
though -- everything about Showgirls is SO bad, particularly the acting and
bad acting is generally the director's responsibility. These are choises that
he made. We can only hope that Mr. Verhoeven takes note of all the scathing
reviews and questions his association with Esterhaus.
I will try to find The Fourth Man (A take on Wells?) I haven't seen Flesh and
Blood, as I recall that didn't do too well either.
Thanks
Roderick Donahue
NYU Film and Television