SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 4

From:
knight iii a <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Sep 1995 10:21:43 -0500
Is there a history of film reviewing in the U.S.?  I'm especially
interested in film reviewing meant for the most general "market"--
i.e., not industry publications or "fan" publications.  When did
reviews start appearing (especially regularly) in newspapers and
general interest magazines?  (I'm actually headed off to my library
right now to see if I can answer these questions for myself--but if
there's a resource that could give me a broad sense of these issues,
I'd sure love to know about it.)  Did critics do much reviewing on
the radio (I know Kael used to, but before that)?

Any help in answering these questions would be much appreciated.
(I'm cross-posting this to H-Film--to those on both lists, sorry
for the repetition.)

Arthur Knight
American Studies & English
The College of William & Mary