SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 4

From:
": Jim Boulden" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 25 Sep 1995 12:25:11 -0400
"My favorite experience in class is when I showed the '50's sci-fi film "This
Island Earth". One student protested that the film was terrible. When I asked
him why, he said that the aliens in the film did not look like "real"
aliens!"

Unfortunately, this problem of visual content vs. dramatic content is one
that we as film production professionals face on a daily basis.  The viewers'
votes (dollars) continually go to production such as "Jurrasic Park" and
"True Lies" where visual content is king.  Many smaller productions that are
not bound by this type of viewer input ("4 Weddings", "Like Water for
Chocolate"), do very well, but an a small (non-studio) scale.

Jim Boulden, President, Animal Makers, Inc. ([log in to unmask])