SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

From:
Matthew Mah <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 12:58:04 -0500
Howdy y'all!  A few weeks ago, I was watching Entertainment Tonight when they
showed a preview of Brad Pitt's new movie.  The trailer was made for theaters,
as it still had the theatrical screen ratio.  But to my point, as I was
watching, I was captivated by it.  Until then, I had noticed how some trailers
looked great, but this one really appealed to me.  It was beautifully shot
(dir. David Fincher made Alien 3, same visual feel and was edited masterfully.
After watching it, I had a deeper respect for trailer production.  Condensing a
2 hour movie into a few minutes takes skill, and whoever made this one
definetly had it.

I was wondering if anyone out there knows of anyone who creates these ads.  I
guess maybe y point, as I was
[...]

guess maybe it looked better on TV, as it was letterboxed and was shot on film,
but that's how everything on TV should look.

Another trailer that really appeals to me is Mortal Kombat.  I know, I know,
hold your snickering.  Forget everything about the movie, and just think about
the trailer.  It definetly shows better sides o fthe movie.  If not the music,
the editing or the "Nothing in this world can prepare you for this" flashing on
screen, love it for the time it took.

I guess if I'm gonna rave about theatrical trailers, might as well for TV ads
as well.  One compaign that I will always remember is Microsoft's "Where do you
want to go today?" ad campaign.  It was the one where a guy's on a train,
another one based solely on a spiral staircase and thrown paper floating down.
The visual feel you get from these are great.  They're wonderfully shot and are
disgraced by haveing to watch it on the small screen.  But hey, that's life,
huh?  (also look out for the Windows 95 commercials)

I guess I'm a sucker for good cinematography (anyone know Bojan Bazelli?), but
ads are a great place to begin to admire film.  All in all, I think everyone
should consider these ads to be mini-movies in themselves.  Quite remarkable.
Please, send me your comments!

Matthew