SCREEN-L Archives

September 1995, Week 1

Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 1995 00:10:13 EDT
The release of THE USUAL SUSPECTS highlights a phenomenon that I recently
became aware of: the use of quotes from CASABLANCA without attribution
on the assumption (I suppose) that everyone would understand the
reference.

A sports columnist in this Monday's Philadelphia Inquirer reporting on
the Eagles loss said "... of all the stadiums in all the cities in all
the leagues ..."

Several times writers of editorials and op-ed pieces have used the ironic
phrase "shocked, just shocked ..."

And, of course, "We'll always have Paris..."

These usages are not like "Frankly my dear I don't give a damn" which is
widely identified with Clark Gable and GONE WITH THE WIND.  The phrase
as I've _heard it_ was intoned with an attempt at a Gable imitation.  I've
never seen the phrase used in a written piece.

I've been unable to remember other movie-originated phrases that have lost
their identification with their source.