SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 2

From:
Jenifer Ward <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Aug 1995 18:48:13 -0500
out-of-class viewing:
I find that this is often a separate issue from video vs. film
altogether.  Frankly, the video vs. film question usually comes down to
a question of availability for me--I teach German cinema at a liberal
arts college--and I rarely have a choice.  But regardless of the medium,
my experience is that some kind of group screening scenario is crucial.
When my students sign up for one of my film courses, they sign up for a
regular course slot, say Tuesdays and Thursdays for 1 1/2 hours, AND an
evening screening slot--just the way they would sign up for chemistry
lab.  Sometimes I show snippets again in class on Thursday, sometimes
the student group responsible for that film's discussion will look at
parts again on their own, etc.  And the more I think about it, the more
I think that one of the great benefits of an initial group screening has
more to do with establishing a group dynamic, which itself facilitates
better discussion and WILLINGNESS to analyze/"read"/discuss the piece,
than it has to do with any kind of quantifiably better or worse
pedagogical technique.

Jenifer Ward
Modern Foreign Languages and Literatures
Gustavus Adolphus College
800 W. College Ave.
St. Peter, MN 56082
(507) 933-7390