SCREEN-L Archives

August 1995, Week 2

From:
MR J J JACOBS <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 12:59:16 +0100
Simon Vainrub's suggestion that the methods used to treat Alex in A
Clockwork Orange (actually made in '71, but never mind) would 'work
with some criminals' is an excellent one.
I suggest we begin with the criminals who dropped air fuel bombs,
fired depleted uranium bullets and then bulldozed 200 000 Iraqi
conscripts alive in the desert during the Gulf War - in order to
restore a (non-existent) democarcy in Kuwait. Or maybe the
marines who thought it would be a good idea to use helicopter
gunships against the citizens of Mogadishu? When it comes to violence
films have nothing on the barbarism of real life: so wire my eyelids
back, I want to see more...
J.J.Jacobs
Department of Film and Television Studies
University of Warwick
U.K.