SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 5

From:
Jeremy Butler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Jul 1995 13:05:28 -0600
On 29 Jul 95 at 10:47, Greg Evans commented on "trivial pursuits":

> David Desser <[log in to unmask]> writes:
>
> > The answer, of course,is PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, but I'm not
> >sure playing movie trivia is the best use of SCREEN-L.
> >Others probably feel this way and didn't want to reply. I
> >waited, but am possessed to answer.
>
> Point taken, and thanks for putting me right. As a fairly new
> subscriber to the Screen-L, I underestimated the essential
> gravity of the list. In my defence, I have to say that I was
> My apologies to other Screen-L contributors.

None required, Greg.

> I'll make sure that any future contributions I make to the
> list take a less frivolous form.

While SCREEN-L contributors should generally try to avoid
frivolousness, this is still a forum where questions of a detailed
or "trivial" (as it might seem to some) manner are actually welcome.
E.g, queries about film/TV titles where one cannot only remember a
small part of the plot are appropriate, as are suggestions for films
of a particular type (as was your post).

I hope that SCREEN-L can continue to be a serious forum for the
discussion of film/TV without becoming too stuffy or self-important.

For more details, watch for the monthly posting of SCREEN-L's
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)--coming out in a day or two.

Jeremy Butler
SCREEN-L Moderator

 Jeremy Butler * [log in to unmask] * [log in to unmask]
      SCREENsite -- a Film/TV-studies site on the World Wide Web:
                http://www.sa.ua.edu/TCF/welcome.htm
 Telecommunication & Film Dept. * University of Alabama * Tuscaloosa