SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 4

From:
Michael Mahl <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 21:37:33 -0400
To anyone who may be able to help.

I am looking for help in finding out the title of a film that exists only
dimly in my memory.  Any assistance, even just clues as to what film this
might be, would be greatly appreciated.

Here are the facts, what little I can recall:

Film was made in the late fifties to early sixties.
Takes place in France.
Suspense/Thriller.
Lead actress played an American living in France (at first I thought this was
Doris Day, but search of her filmography turned up negative).
The story revolves around a woman (played by the lead actress) who is
involved in some type of intrigue, which results in her thinking that she has
killed a man.  She dumps his body on the side of the road, then phones the
police (anonymously) to report the crime.
The one line I remember is the police detective questioning her, saying, "The
woman who phoned spoke perfect French, but of course had an American accent."
The upshot is either 1) The man is not really dead, or 2) He is dead, but the
woman had no part in killing him.
I know this is not much to go on, but I'm hoping this triggers some memories,
because trying to figure out the name of this movie is driving me crazy!

Thanks, DAL.