SCREEN-L Archives

July 1995, Week 3

From:
Harriet Kasow <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 14:16:00 +0300
Shalom,
As promised here are some of my hightlights of the 12th Jerusalem film
Festival that just ended. As usual, there were 180 films screened roughly
divided into the following categories:Israeli cinema, panorama which
includes films from around the world which have appeared at other festivals
for the most part,Short films, animation,documentaries, retrospective -
this year Buster Keaton, restored or newly found films. What a splendiferous
pot pourri of sheer big-screen joy. You could "read" that last sentence
as hperbolic.
SHARAKU JAPAN MASATO HARA 1995
A wonderfully picturesque film about an anonymous artist who painted Kabuki
actors in 1794. Nothing is known about his life. This film makes up a
possible biography and is a costume drama of incredible beauty.It also
offers many glimpses into the Kabuki theater tradition.

SMOKE. U.S. WAYNE WANG 1995
BASED on the stories by Paul Auster who co-wrote the script and starring
William Hurt, Harvey Keitel, Stoppard Channing & Forest Whitaker it is
an intelligent and highly satisfying film. Somewhat similar in structure
as Altman's SHORT CUTS, it illustrates a writer's life in Brooklyn and
his interactions with the inhabitants. Wonderfully acted. Keitel and
Hurt are big favorites here in Israel. All their movies are well attended
and the big hall was overflowing despite the fact that there were no
Hebrew subtitles.

SEPTEMBER SONGS; THE MUSIC OF KURT WEILL. CANADA. LARRY WEINSTEIN.1995
One of these documentaries that make you say I didn't know he wrote that
and I didn't realize that his theater music was so jazzy. It was done
using both opera singers (theresa Strats) and jazz groups and rock
singers. What a treat!

HOOP DREAMS was well attended and quite a treat.
Have to go to work.
If you want more, don't hesitate to ask.
Peace
Harriet Kasow [log in to unmask]
Video Librarian
Hebrew University